Thursday, April 24, 2008

introductions

Hello and welcome to the videogame journalism blog. This will be home to my inquiries and exploits in the ever-evolving field of videogames journalism. I would like this to eventually be a resource for other aspiring game journalists. It's a highly competitive field, and, in such a field, any information you can get helps. And, my oh my, do I have so many ideas for this site. So, a precursor list of what (hopefully) is to come from this:
  • First, evaluate the differences between how trade publications and mainstream media report on and package their games reporting.
  • Because I'm taking an online journalism class this quarter, I'd like to evaluate some of the gaming sections of online websites from mainstream media and the online versions of trade publications.
  • I would also like to look back at other media (comics, movies, television) and check the archives from mainstream sources to see what kind of reporting was being done on these media as they debuted. Look for similarities/differences in games journalism. I don't think this will be too ground-breaking, but I think it would be interesting to look at.
  • Accrue and aggregate different articles on breaking into games journalism, writing tips, other interesting things, etc. This aspect will be pretty similar to what Video Game Media Watch already does.
  • Develop my own little videogame styleguide along the way.
  • more later...
I hope this gives a good idea of what I want to accomplish here. Feel free to send suggestions, comments and criticisms at any time. I love that stuff.

=Meghan

No comments: